Thursday, December 3, 2009

Epiphany In A Fast-Food Line

Several friends had just left the church, where I'd begun the first session of our Connection Points class. I postponed dinner until after class. So did they. All of us managed to find a brief pause between the people, places and projects of our lives. I phoned home after class to confirm what I already suspected. She too had a long day. Tonight was one of those nights to grab dinner on the go... as 1 out of 4 of my fellow Americans does every day.


Not being a vegan, I stopped by a burger bar. The prospect of cold FF further down the road this rainy night didn't excite me: I opt to eat in.
Across the room, a red velvet banner with gold foil lettering warms my soul... PEACE on EARTH, it says. I wonder if this banner was manufactured in a nation where followers of Jesus suffer at the hands of their persecutors? Some nation where U.S. diplomats hesitate to mention human rights violations for fear of damaging trade relations?

One of the young ladies working at this burger bar is bagging the wrappings and crumbs of what other customers like me left behind. In a couple of hours she will sit down and sip a Coke with her boyfriend, who is hanging loose 'til lights out.  I thought I might mention this holiday banner, and it's gentle message. Peace on Earth.

"That's only half the message", I said. "Have you ever heard the first half?"
     "I don't think so", she responds.
The night Jesus was born, angels were seen in the sky. They shouted out "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace...".
      "Yeah. I thought maybe that was it."
"And we'll never have the second part, without the first part. That's something everyone needs to know."

Sermon Bytes may never be on their Side-Order menu. But all of us need some moments of holy pause between the places and projects of our lives. Even for a fast-food world, there is redemption. Glory to God then peace on earth. Pause in breathless wonder before Him. And then... breathe easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment